Posted by on 1/21/2014
A significant number of women complain of dark underarms. Most commonly, dark underarms are caused by a combination of shaving, deodorant use and sweating. However, there are a number of ways in which dark underarms can be prevented as well as effectively whitened. Given below are 5 tips that will help you whiten your underarms successfully:
- Lemon: One of the easiest ways to whiten dark underarms is by rubbing lemon on the affected area. Allow the lemon juice to sit on your skin for 20 minutes and then rinse off thoroughly. You can also add a little honey to lemon juice to soothe your skin.
- Bleaching: There are a number of products available today to bleach the armpits. However, it should be noted that many of these products are actually quite harsh on the skin. Use sparingly and only when nothing else works.
- Armpit peel: Just like chemical peel that is often used on facial skin, armpit peel is performed by many dermatologists today to remove the outermost skin layers that tend to be the darkest. Multiple sittings are usually required to see complete results.
- Arbutin Cream: In some cases, dark underarms are caused by hyper-pigmentation. Arbutin cream proves to be quite effective in such cases. Creams containing "alpha arbutin" prove to be the most effective. Consult your dermatologist for suggestions before you use the cream.
- Hygiene: One of the best ways to whiten dark underarms is by maintaining cleanliness and changing your deodorant use. Discoloration is usually caused because of sweat as well as the products that you use. You may want to switch to a hypoallergenic deodorant and soap. Antiperspirant products tend to block pores and stop your skin from sweating. Ensure that your underarms are always thoroughly clean and dry. Use a good quality cleaner that removes all residues from your skin that may be darkening the skin.